LEBANON, Mo. (June 9, 2013) – It had been 36 years since a NASCAR K&N Pro Series West driver swept a pair of races in the same weekend, but Michael Self is all about ending droughts these days.
Two days after he became the first West driver to take the checkered flag in the seven-year history of NASCAR K&N Pro Series East-West combination races at Iowa Speedway, Self made it two-for-two on the weekend with a victory in the Toyota/G-Oil 150 at Lebanon I-44 Speedway.
With the Lebanon win, the 22-year-old from Park City, Utah became the first West driver to earn two wins in one weekend since Harry Jefferson was victorious on June 25 and June 26, 1977.
Self is also the first driver to win three races in a row since Greg Pursley in 2011. His current streak began at Brainerd (Minn.) International Raceway on May 25.
Following Self across the line were Daryl Hall, Dylan Lupton, Derek Thorn and Dylan Hutchison.
The series’ inaugural visit to the .375-mile high banks in Lebanon looked to be in the hands of either one of the Gene Price Motorsports entries of polesitter Cameron Hayley or Pursley, who swapped the lead six times through the first 147 laps of the race. But when Self got the No. 21 Golden Gate Meat/iON Chevrolet under them in Turn 4 to make it three-wide on Lap 148, Hayley and Pursley skidded up the track and Self powered to the lead.
The caution immediately came out with the Hayley-Pursley spin, and on the green-white-checkered finish, Self drove away from the field for his sixth career NASCAR K&N Pro Series West triumph.
With the victory, Self took a one-point lead in the season standings after five races over Derek Thorn. Hayley is eight behind Self with Pursley 11 back.
The Toyota/G-Oil 150 is scheduled to air on SPEED on Thursday, June 20, at 3 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series West return to action with the Carneros 200 on June 22 at Sonoma (Calif.) Raceway.
For more information, contact: Jason Cunningham/ NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
(704) 201-6658/ firstname.lastname@example.org
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST-TOYOTA/G-OIL 150
Sunday At Lebanon I-44 Speedway- Lebanon, MO
Lap length: 0.37 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (6) Michael Self, Park City, Utah, Chevrolet, 153 laps.
2. (11) Daryl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 153.
3. (3) Dylan Lupton, Wilton, Calif., Ford, 153.
4. (4) Derek Thorn, Lakeport, Calif., Ford, 153.
5. (7) Dylan Hutchison, Fair Oaks, Calif., Chevrolet, 153.
6. (5) Eric Holmes, Escalon, Calif., Toyota, 153.
7. (1) Cameron Hayley, Calgary, Alberta, Ford, 153.
8. (10) Taylor Cuzick, Tolleson, Ariz., Chevrolet, 153.
9. (2) Greg Pursley, Newhall, Calif., Ford, 153.
10. (12) Jamie Krzysik, Grande Prairie, Alberta, Toyota, 150.
11. (16) Carl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 145.
12. (9) Giles Thornton, Whitefish, Mont., Toyota, 137.
13. (14) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, Calif., Chevrolet, 123, rear end.
14. (13) John Wood, Eagle, Idaho, Toyota, 113.
15. (15) Andrew Tuttle, Eagle, Idaho, Toyota, 36, suspension.
16. (8) Brett Thompson, Jerome, Idaho, Chevrolet, 27, engine.
Time of Race: 1 hours 2 minutes 32 seconds
Margin of Victory: .538 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: C.Hayley (90.563 mph, 14.708 seconds)
Caution Flags: 8 for 31 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: C. Hayley 1; G. Pursley 2-16; C. Hayley 17-65; G. Pursley 66-78; C. Hayley 79-118; G. Pursley 119-146; C. Hayley 147; M. Self 148-153.
Standings: 1. M. Self, 212; 2. D. Thorn, 211; 3. C. Hayley, 204; 4. G. Pursley, 201; 5. D. Lupton, 182; 6. T. Cuzick, 164; 7. C. Harr, 163; 8. B. Thompson, 155; 9. D. Hutchison, 153; 10. J. Wood, 150.