BOWMANVILLE, ON – NASCAR Canadian Tire Series veteran J.R. Fitzpatrick set the pace for the season opening race, by setting a new qualifying track record at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park with a time of 1:23.286. The Ayr, Ont. native is a three-time winner of the historic 3.957 km road course.
Louis-Philippe Dumoulin will join Fitzpatrick on the front row and two-time Series champion Scott Steckly win start third.
In SCCA Pro Racing Trans-Am, Simon Gregg won the pole and set a new track record with a time of 1:15.614. Defending Series champion Tony Ave was second.
The first races of the weekend were held under perfect conditions.
The Ultra 94 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Canada by Michelin held the first of its two weekend races. Spencer Pigot won the race easily in the Pfaff Automotive Partners race car in the Platinum Cup class. Tim Sanderson finished on top of the podium in the Gold class.
Saturday’s racing also saw the Canadian Touring Car Championship run the first leg of their weekend doubleheader. Scott Nicol took the Super Touring over Bob Attrell. Michael Sallenbach was first in the Touring Class and Karl Wittmer took the victory in B-Spec.
In the Canadian Supercar Series, Guy Leclerc took the top step of the podium by 5.633 over Martin Burrowes in the S1 class. Simon Dion-Viens was the victor in S2.
Sunday’s schedule begins with practice, qualifying and two races, the Canadian Supercar Series and the Ultra 94 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge by Michelin. After lunch the final three races of the weekend will take place. The Pinty’s presents the Vortex Brake Pads 200 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series race will take the green flag at 1:30 pm followed by the ground pounding SCCA Pro Racing Trans-Am Series to wrap up the race weekend.
QUALIFYING RESULTS:NASCAR CANDADIAN TIRE SERIES presented by MOBIL 1 – Pinty’s presents the Vortex 200
Race Sunday; Qualifying Saturday
at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Road Course)
Bowmanville, Ontario // Lap Length: 2.459 miles
1. (84) J.R. Fitzpatrick, Cambridge, Ont., Chevrolet, 106.289
2. (47) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 106.013
3. (22) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 105.602
4. (02) Kerry Micks, Mt. Albert, Ont., Ford, 105.098
5. (17) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 104.848
6. (39) Alex Guennette, Terrebonne, Que., Dodge, 104.802
7. (66) Robin Buck, Campbellville, Ont., Dodge, 104.594
8. (42) Peter Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont., Chevrolet, 104.441
9. (56) Howie Scannell Jr., Milton, Ont., Dodge, 104.377
10. (76) Jeff Lapcevich, Grimsby, Ont., Dodge, 104.348
11. (3) Jason Hathaway, Dutton, Ont., Dodge, 104.329
12. (5) Noel Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Dodge, 103.993
13. (90) Martin Roy, Napierville, Que., Dodge, 103.861
14. (4) Austin Dillon, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 103.278
15. (21) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Dodge, 103.103
16. (59) Ryan Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont., Chevrolet, 102.904
17. (19) Brad Graham, Glencoe, Ont., Ford, 102.806
18. (69) Trevor Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Dodge, 102.417
19. (28) Daniel Bois, Bracebridge, Ont., Dodge, 102.342
20. (15) Steve Mathews, New Liskeard, Ont., Ford, 102.330
21. (09) Ryley Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Dodge, 101.421
22. (60) Ron Beauchamp, Jr., Windsor, Ont., Dodge, 101.254
23. (8) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Dodge, 101.241
24. (97) Hugo Vannini, Repentigny, Que., Ford, 100.768
25. (99) Derek White, Kahnawake, Que., Chevrolet, 100.756
26. (98) Larry Jackson, Oakville, Ont., Dodge, 98.705
27. (29) Ray Courtemanche Jr., Montreal, Que., Dodge, 98.171
28. (67) David Thorndyke, Oshawa, Ont., Chevrolet, 97.828
From Ryan Chalmers / Communications and Promotions Manager / Canadian Tire Motorsport Park