On Saturday, November 10, VARAC (Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada) will honour its champions at its Annual General Meeting. The event will take place from 4 to 6 p.m., at the Sheraton Parkway Hotel, in Richmond Hill, Ontario. Based in Ontario, VARAC is the premier Vintage Automobile Road Racing Club in Canada with members from the Prairie Provinces, the US, Europe and, of course, Ontario and Quebec.
PHOTO: (left to right) Craig Fisher, Walt MacKay, Gary Magwood, Eppie Wietzes, Bill Brack and Ludwig Heimrath. All except MacKay will receive the “Honorary Member Award.” MacKay is and has been a long time VARAC member and he among the others listed in the Press Release will receive the “Lifetime Member Award.” (Courtesy of VARAC).
We race cars made in 1989 or earlier, and split our cars into 4 age groups:
• Pre-war – including post war MG T series cars (as they were built to pre-war designs)
• Vintage – for cars up to 31 December 1961
• Historic – for cars from 1 January 1962 to 31 December 1972
• Group 70+ – for cars from 1 January 1973 to 31 December 1989.
2012 RACING CHAMPIONSHIP AWARDS
G70 H CLASS
1ST STEVE CLARK
1ST DAVE MARGOLEESE
2ND TIM SANDERSON
3RD JAMIE SUTHERLAND
1ST DAN ROSEWALL
2ND PETER SCHLAG
3RD KEVIN YOUNG
1ST MIKE STEPLOCK
2ND DOUG KURTIN
3RD ANDREW ATKINS
1ST ED LUCE
2ND HOWARD FREEMAN
3RD ANDRE GAGNE
1ST TED MICHALOS
2ND JEREMY SALE
3RD BRIAN THOMAS
1ST JOE LIGHTFOOT
2ND RICHARD NAVIN
3RD DAVE MORGAN
1ST BOB EAGLESON
2ND YVON LEPINAY
3RD PETER LAMBRINOS
1ST CHRIS RUPNIK
2ND KEN LEE
3RD ROBERT SEARLE
1ST ALAIN RAYMOND
OVERALL V/H CLUB CHAMPION HOWARD FREEMAN
OVERALL G70+ CLUB CHAMPION MIKE STEPLOCK
In addition to the awards for the Racing Championship, VARAC will acknowledge the contribution and loyalty of several members by presenting them with the coveted “Lifetime Membership Award.”
This award recognizes individuals who have exhibited “The Spirit of Vintage Racing” through their involvement with and contribution to VARAC and Vintage Racing over an extended period of time and may include Drivers with a long term history in vintage racing and especially VARAC, also Workers who have significantly contributed to VARAC and Crew members who always seem ready to help others.
Recipients of the Lifetime Member Award in 2012 are:
• Walt MacKay, Racing Driver, Canadian Racing Champion and VARAC member
• Michael Rosen, Racing Driver, Former VARAC President and VARAC member
• David and Nancy Turnbull, Racing Drivers and VARAC members
• Scooter Elcomb, Racing Driver and VARAC member
• Jeremy Hinchcliffe, Racing Driver, Former Director and VARAC member
• John DeMaria, Racing Driver and VARAC member
• Oliver Clubine, Racing Driver, Canadian Racing Pioneer, Former President and VARAC member
• Peter Christensen, Team Owner and VARAC member
Vintage Racing is a celebration of “Racing into the Past.” VARAC is fortunate to be supported by a number of Canada’s greatest racing drivers, National and International Champions who contribute their time and reputations to furthering the “Spirit of Vintage Racing.” In recognition of their efforts, VARAC has created a new “Honorary Member Award” for 2012 and beyond.
The “Honorary Member Award” is presented to those who are not current members of VARAC and who have made a significant contribution or continue to make significant contributions to VARAC and vintage racing through their support and affiliation. Recipients may include “name drivers”, sponsors or others.
Recipients of the Honorary Member Award in 2012 are:
• Bill Brack, Triple Canadian Racing Champion, Two-time Formula Atlantic Champion, Formula 1 Driver , Motorsport Hall of Fame Inductee
• Craig Fisher, Canadian Racing Legend, Hall of Fame Inductee
• Ludwig Heimrath, Twice Canadian Racing Champion, Twice SCCA Trans-Am Champion, Formula 1 Driver, Motorsport Hall of Fame Inductee
• Gary Magwood, Canadian Formula Ford Champion , Motorsport Hall of Fame Founder
• Eppie Wietzes, Twice Canadian Racing Champion, Trans-Am Champion, Formula 1 Driver, Motorsport Hall of Fame Inductee
For more information about VARAC or the awards presentations, contact Bob DeShane, Director at email@example.com or (705) 878-5422. You can also visit VARAC’s website at www.varac.ca. The VARAC – Canadian Historic Grand Prix website is located at www.canadianhistoricgrandprix.com.