January 4, 2014- The Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada (VARAC) is gearing up for what promises to be the biggest, most exciting and best-attended event in its history. The Canadian Historic Grand Prix is one of the most prestigious events on the Vintage and Historic Racing Calendar in North America and it is the largest and most popular event of its kind in Canada and counted as a “Major Spectator Event” at Mosport since 1999.
Racers from across Canada and the United States will descend on Canadian Tire Motorsport Park just north of Bowmanville, Ontario with their MGs, Triumphs, Jaguars, Porsches, Alfa Romeos, Lotus, Minis and more to challenge the world famous Mosport Grand Prix Circuit.
Mosport is one of only three true historic Grand Prix tracks in North America, along with Le Circuit Mont Tremblant in Quebec and Watkins Glen in upstate New York. Mosport is an awesome, technically demanding, fast 2.459 mile track with challenging corners and impressive elevation changes. It is the current and former host to world-class racing such as ALMS, the NASCAR Truck Series and the Formula One Grand Prix of Canada, Can-Am, Trans-Am and Formula 5000.
Moreover, it is a place for cars and drivers to come home to.
Triumph and MG Racers will be the “Featured Marques” for 2014 as VARAC steps back in time to in time to recreate the epic battle for sportscar supremacy between British manufacturers – Standard Triumph and MG Cars. Mosport’s tarmac has seen that battle play out decade after decade and now, VARAC is staging what promises to be the largest ever such contest in its 2014 Triumph vs MG Can-Am Challenge. This year, racing fans will once again be thrilled to witness a huge grid of swarming, fast Triumphs and MGs piloted by cunning and experienced drivers from across Canada and the US, returning back to claim victory as they challenge the Mosport tarmac and each other once again.
In addition to the featured Triumphs and MGs, there will be three full days of exciting racing involving full grids for all Vintage and Historic racing machines from Minis to Mustangs and Canada Class open wheelers to Can-Am cars. There will be racing for six groups of cars including Monoposto (single seat open-wheel vintage & historic race cars), Small Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (under 2000cc), Big Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (over 2000cc), Wings & Slicks (very fast purpose-built racing cars running on slick tires), G70+ Cars (cars dating from 1973 to 1989 including all kinds of Alfas, Corvettes, Porsches, Mustangs and a host of others.
The Canadian Historic Grand Prix is about more than on-track racing! Spectators and car enthusiasts of all stripes will enjoy the scope and scale of experiences open to their participation on the weekend such as:
– The “Historic Grand Prix Tribute” hosting the “Checkered Flag Cruise” this year for the first time in Downtown Bowmanville from noon to nine on Friday, just like the world-famous street party at Watkins Glen. You don’t want to miss this!
– Track Touring Sessions – On-track sessions are offered twice daily.
– Road Rally/Tour – a 100 mile rally/tour throughout the hills and dales and quaint villages of the local area, including a lunch stop on Saturday.
– “Legends of Mosport Racer’s Reunion” – Canadian Champion, Gary Magwood hosts this “Meet the Fans & Press” session Sunday morning with other champions and greats like Bill Brack, Eppie Wietzes, Ludwig Heimrath, Craig Fisher, Walt Mackay and others. Open to all at no cost. Mix with old friends, racers and champions.
– “Legends of the Autobahn” Concours d’Elegance conducted by the Mercedes Benz Club of America , the Porsche Club of America and the BMW Drivers Club on Sunday
– “Mini Meet North” all weekend – Canada’s largest Mini gathering,
– “Field of Dreams Car Show” – welcoming hundreds of sports cars, classics and hot-rods, owners and car clubs from far and wide featuring Canada’s largest on-track parade open to car show participants and featuring discounted park admission for entrants.
– Free weekend camping courtesy Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
– Advance tickets available at: http://store.mosport.com/index.php?crn=242
About VARAC: Founded in 1976, the Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada has over 220 members with approximately 100 members who are active racing drivers. VARAC is sanctioned by Canadian Automobile Sports Clubs – Ontario Region under ASN Canada and the FIA. VARAC is a founding member of the Vintage Motorsport Council, an umbrella organization representing all Vintage Motorsport Clubs in North America.
VARAC members compete in Vintage and Historic Racing events across North America and abroad. VARAC is made up racing enthusiasts from all walks of life. Several Canadian Champions are included amongst the membership.
For more information go to www.canadianhistoricgrandprix.com or email: email@example.com
From: Bob DeShane/ Canadian Historic Grand Prix