FRASERVILLE, ON – Scott Steckly has been battling back all season. He won at Kawartha Speedway in a green-white-checkered finish on Sunday to come from behind to win the 2013 championship in the NCATS presented by Mobil 1 by just two points.
The Milverton, Ontario driver had to win the race and lead the most laps to earn the maximum 48 points to overcome a five-point deficit coming into the event in order to become the first three-time series champion. Steckly led a race-high 113 laps en route to the victory.
After beginning the 2013 campaign with a pair of finishes outside the top 20, Steckly mounted a charge that included three straight wins in July. He entered the final race, which was delayed a day by rain, trailing defending champion D.J. Kennington in the championship standings.
Steckly demonstrated the strength of his No. 22 Canadian Tire Dodge early in the day on Sunday, topping the practice charts and winning his 12th career series pole.
He led the early portion of the race, making a point of staying ahead of Kennington. After pitting twice during the second caution, Steckly and Kennington restarted 12th and 13th, respectively. The pair steadily worked their way to the front as Jason Hathaway, who entered the event with a mathematical shot at the title, pulled away with a big lead.
All three title contenders stopped for right side tires during a caution on Lap 150 and from there set sail to the finish. Jeff Lapcevich led initially, but soon gave way to Pete Shepherd III.
The trio of title contenders battled among themselves as they closed in and moved by Lapcevich for second. Hathaway, who slipped by Kennington, challenged Shepherd for the lead following a restart – but saw his hopes dashed with a spin in Turn 4.
Steckly took advantage on the restart and raced Shepherd side-by-side for the lead – eventually getting the top spot for good after contact coming out of Turn 4. Steckly went on to win by a margin of .580 seconds over Shepherd, with Lapcevich third and Kennington fourth. Martin Roy came home fifth.
Sixth through 10th were Noel Dowler, Donald Chisholm, Mark Dilley, Ron Beauchamp and Ryley Seibert.
The Pinty’s 250 will premiere on TSN2 on Sunday, Oct. 6 at 5:30 p.m. ET and on the French-language RDS2 at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, Oct. 18. Both shows are special 90-minute programs.
UNOFFICIAL NCATS presented by MOBIL 1 Pinty’s 250 Results
Saturday At Kawartha Speedway
Fraserville, Ontario // Lap length: 0.375 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 256 laps, 49.791 mph.
2. (9) Pete Shepherd III, Brampton, Ont., Dodge, 256.
3. (13) Jeff Lapcevich, Grimsby, Ont., Dodge, 256.
4. (3) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 256.
5. (16) Martin Roy, Napierville, Que., Dodge, 256.
6. (8) Noel Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Dodge, 256.
7. (4) Donald Chisholm, Antigonish, N.S., Dodge, 256.
8. (15) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Ford, 256.
9. (7) Ron Beauchamp, Jr., Windsor, Ont., Dodge, 256.
10. (22) Ryley Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Dodge, 256.
11. (11) Jason Hathaway, Dutton, Ont., Dodge, 256.
12. (17) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Dodge, 256.
13. (2) Brad Graham, Glencoe, Ont., Dodge, 256.
14. (25) Daniel Bois, Bracebridge, Ont, Dodge, 255.
15. (14) James White, Kamloops. BC, Dodge, 255.
16. (12) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Dodge, 255.
17. (20) Alex Guenette, Terrebonne, Que., Dodge, 254.
18. (21) Howie Scannell Jr., Milton, Ont., Dodge, 254.
19. (18) Hugo Vannini, Repentigny, Que., Ford, 253.
20. (19) Derek White, Kahnawake, Que., Chevrolet, 253.
21. (10) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 252.
22. (24) Ray Courtemanche Jr., Montreal, Que., Dodge, 251.
23. (23) Trevor Monaghan, Hamilton, Ont., Dodge, 249.
24. (26) Jason Hankewich, Kindersley, SK, Dodge, 236.
25. (5) J.R. Fitzpatrick, Ayr, Ont., Chevrolet, 167, electrical.
26. (6) Larry Jackson, Oakville, Ont., Dodge, 162, oil leak.
Time of Race: 1 hour 55 minutes 41 seconds
Margin of Victory: .580 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: S. Steckly (75.817 mph, 17.806 seconds)
Caution Flags: 8 for 69 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 7 drivers.
Lap Leaders: S. Steckly 1-81; D. Kennington 82; J. Fitzpatrick 83-94; J. Hathaway 95-149; B. Graham 150-156; J. Lapcevich 157-165; P. Shepherd III 166-224; S. Steckly 225-256.
Standings: 1. S. Steckly, 473; 2. D. Kennington, 471; 3. J. Hathaway, 442; 4. M. Roy, 429; 5. L. Dumoulin, 418; 6. J. Fitzpatrick, 411; 7. N. Dowler, 378; 8. J. White, 375; 9. R. Beauchamp, Jr., 373; 10. A. Guenette, 368.
From NASCAR / IMC
Discussion about this post