VERNON, British Columbia (July 14, 2012) – When you’re hot you’re hot. That could be the best way to describe the streak D.J. Kennington is on right now in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1.Kennington of St. Thomas, Ontario took the lead from defending series champion and defending race champion Scott Steckly on Lap 249 and remained out front the rest of the way to win the A&W Cruisin’ The Dub 300 at Motoplex Speedway and Event Park for his third consecutive win of the season.
Jason Hathaway followed in second with Steckly, JR Fitzpatrick and British Columbia native Jason White picking up his career best finish on an oval in fifth.
Rounding out the top 10 were Martin Roy, Jim White, Ron Beauchamp Jr., JP Dumoulin and Noel Dowler.
Kennington, who finished second to Steckly in this event the previous two seasons, started third in the race and needed just five laps to pass pole-sitter Beauchamp to take the lead for the first time.
While Kennington led the most laps, pacing the field for 128 circuits, other drivers flexed their muscle at various points of the race. Fitzpatrick led 93 laps and Steckly led 63. The race featured 16 lead changes among five drivers.
The race was slowed six times by caution in the longest race of the year for the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series competitors.
The A&W Cruisin’ The Dub 300 will be telecast by TSN on Sunday, July 22 at 5 p.m. ET and by RDS2 on Saturday, Aug. 11 at 7:30 p.m. ET. Replays will air on both stations, as well, as TSN2. Please consult local listings for dates and times.
With the win, Kennington padded his lead in the championship standings. He has an 223 point lead over Fitzpatrick – 227 to 204. Andrew Ranger is third with 200, followed by Steckly with 197 and Hathaway with 181. Completing the top 10 are Dumoulin, Beauchamp, Jason White, Martin Roy and Noel Dowler.
The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 continues its swing through Western Canada with a return to the Edmonton Indy at Edmonton (Alta.) City Centre Airport on Sunday, July 22. It will be the series’ first time to compete on the new track configuration after a one-year hiatus.
NASCAR CANDADIAN TIRE SERIES presented by MOBIL 1-A&W Cruisin’ The Dub 300 Results
Saturday At Motoplex Speedway // Vernon, British Columbia
Lap length: 0.5 miles // (Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 300 laps, 74.401 mph.
2. (6) Jason Hathaway, Dutton, Ont., Dodge, 300.
3. (2) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 300.
4. (5) J.R. Fitzpatrick, Cambridge, Ont., Chevrolet, 300.
5. (11) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Dodge, 300.
6. (13) Martin Roy, Napierville, Que, Dodge, 300.
7. (7) Jim White, Kamloops, B.C., Dodge, 300.
8. (1) Ron Beauchamp, Jr., Windsor, Ont., Dodge, 300.
9. (10) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 300.
10. (16) Noel Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Dodge, 300.
11. (8) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Dodge, 299.
12. (12) Trevor Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Dodge, 299.
13. (4) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Ford, 299.
14. (19) Bob De Lorme, Calgary, Alta., Chevrolet, 295.
15. (17) James Van Domselaar, Ft. Saskatchewan, Alta., Chevrolet, 290.
16. (18) Mike Scholz, Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., Chevrolet, 268.
17. (14) Jarrad Whissell, Calgary, Alta., Chevrolet, 257, rear end.
18. (9) Ryley Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Ford, 141, electrical.
19. (15) Kevin Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Dodge, 116, handling.
20. (20) Jason Hankewich, Kindersley, Sask., Chevrolet, 80, suspension.
Time of Race: 2 hours 58 seconds
Margin of Victory: 5.340 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Beauchamp, Jr. (97.582 mph, 18.446 seconds)
Caution Flags: 7 for 52 laps.
Lead Changes: 16 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: S. Steckly 1; R. Beauchamp,Jr. 2-4; D. Kennington 5-16; J. Fitzpatrick 17-37; D. Kennington 38-50; J. Fitzpatrick 51; D. Kennington 52; J. Fitzpatrick 53-116; D. Kennington 117-158; S. Steckly 159-172; J. Fitzpatrick 173-179; D. Kennington 180-182; A. Ranger 183-188; D. Kennington 189-193; A. Ranger 194-200; S. Steckly 201-248; D. Kennington 249-300.
Standings: 1. D. Kennington, 227; 2. J. Fitzpatrick, 204; 3. A. Ranger, 200; 4. S. Steckly, 197; 5. J. Hathaway, 181; 6. L. Dumoulin, 181; 7. R. Beauchamp,Jr., 175; 8. J. White, 173; 9. M. Roy, 155; 10. N. Dowler, 147.
From Kevin W. Green / Integrated Marketing Communications