February 5, 2013- The Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada (VARAC) is gearing up for what promises to be the biggest, most exciting and best-attended event in its history. The Canadian Historic Grand Prix is one of the most prestigious events on the Vintage and Historic Racing Calendar in North America and it is the largest and most popular event of its kind in Canada and counted as a “Major Spectator Event” at Mosport since 1999.
Racers from across Canada and the United States will descend on Canadian Tire Motorsport Park just north of Bowmanville, Ontario with their MGs, Jaguars, Porsches, Alfa Romeos, Lotus, Minis and more to challenge the world famous Mosport Grand Prix Circuit.
Mosport is one of only three true historic Grand Prix tracks in North America along with Le Circuit Mont Tremblant in Quebec and Watkins Glen in upstate New York. Mosport is an awesome, technically demanding, fast 2.459 mile track with challenging corners and impressive elevation changes. It is the former home to world-class racing such as the Formula One Grand Prix of Canada, Can- Am, Trans-Am and Formula 5000.
Moreover, it is a place for cars and drivers to come home to.
Porsche 944 will be the “Featured Marque” for 2013 as VARAC steps back in time to the mid 1980’s to recreate the glory days of the Rothman’s Porsche 944 Challenge Series. Mosport was the launching pad for that fabulous racing series. It became one of the longest lasting, most competitive single-make racing series ever. The brainchild of David Deacon, then Marketing Manager for Volkswagen/Porsche in Canada, it attracted many top-flight drivers like Scott Goodyear, Ludwig Heimrath, Richard Spenard and now CTMP Principal, Ron Fellows among others.
This year, racing fans will once again be thrilled to witness a full grid of swarming, fast 944s back to challenge the Mosport tarmac and each other once again.
In addition to the featured Porsche 944s, there will be three full days of exciting racing involving full grids for all Vintage and Historic racing machines from Minis to Mustangs and Canada Class open wheelers to Can-Am cars. There will be racing for six groups of cars including Monoposto (single seat open-wheel vintage & historic race cars), Small Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (under 1800cc), Big Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (over 1800cc), Wings & Slicks (very fast purpose-built racing cars running on slick tires), G70+ Cars (cars dating from 1973 to 1989 including all kinds of Alfas, Corvettes, Porsches, Mustangs and a host of others.
Spectators and car enthusiasts of all stripes will enjoy the scope and scale of experiences open to participation on the weekend such as:
– The “Checkered Flag Cruise” on Friday evening. The Cruise is open to all classic cars and admission to the park for the Checkered Flag Cruise is free. Nostalgia will hang thick in the air as with old time rock and roll blends with the “American Graffiti” atmosphere of classic cars and the vintage race theme. This event begs participation by spectators, classic car owners and car club members. Every kind of classic from VW Beetles to Rat Rods is welcome.
– Lapping – On-track sessions are offered twice daily. Whether you are contemplating a futurein racing, or itching to actually drive the track, to see and stretch your car’s legs, to experience the feeling of driving the track at brisk but controlled speeds, this is your chance.
– Road Rally/Tour – a 100 mile rally/tour throughout the hills and dales and quaint villages ofthe local area, including a lunch stop on Saturday.
– “Legends of Mosport Racer’s Reunion” – Canadian Champion, Gary Magwood hosts this”meet the fans & Press” session Sunday morning. Open to all, at no cost. Mix with old friends, racers and champions.
– “Legends of the Autobahn” Concours d’Elegance conducted by the Mercedes Benz Club of America on Sunday
– “Mini Meet North” all weekend – Canada’s largest Mini gathering,
– “Field of Dreams” Car Show – welcoming hundreds of sports cars, classics and hot-rods,owners and car clubs from far and wide featuring Canada’s largest on-track parade open to car show participants and featuring discounted park admission for entrants. Sunday morning. Join in! Great value, great fun!
– Free weekend camping courtesy Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
The Canadian Historic Grand Prix
Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
June 14 -16, 2013
Advance tickets available at: http://store.mosport.com/index.php?crn=242About VARAC
ABOUT VARAC: Founded in 1976, the Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada hasover 220 members with approximately 100 members who are active racing drivers. VARAC is sanctioned by Canadian Automobile Sports Clubs – Ontario Region under ASN Canada and the FIA. VARAC is a founding member of the Vintage Motorsport Council, an umbrella organization representing all Vintage Motorsport Clubs in North America.
VARAC members compete in Vintage and Historic Racing events across North America and abroad. VARAC is made up racing enthusiasts from all walks of life. Several Canadian Champions are included amongst the membership.
For more information go to www.canadianhistoricgrandprix.com or email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Discussion about this post